In this article I will explain how to install Active Directory Federation Services 2.0 (AD FS 2.0) in Windows Server 2008 R2.
According to Microsoft, Active Directory Federation Services 2.0 helps IT enable users to collaborate across organizational boundaries and easily access applications on-premises and in the cloud, while maintaining application security. Through a claims-based infrastructure, IT can enable a single sign-on experience for end-users to applications without requiring a separate account or password, whether applications are located in partner organizations or hosted in the cloud.
Note: You’ll need to have local administrator rights in order to complete this process.
Note: The server you are working on should be a member of the domain you wish to provide Federation Services with.
Note: You should not install this on a Domain Controller.
Installing Active Directory Federation Services
- Download Active Directory Federation Services 2.0 from the following link:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/ee476597.aspx
- Run the installer you downloaded to start the installation process
- On the Welcome to the AD FS 2.0 Setup Wizard screen, select Next
4. On the End-User License Agreement screen, review the license agreement, select the check ox for accept the terms in the License Agreement and click Next
5. On the Server Role screen, select the Federation server
Note: If you wish to have an infrastructure model which is more secure, you could have a Federation server behind the firewall and have a separate Federation server which is simply acting as a proxy server which will connect to the Federation server in the back end. If you wish to do this, you would select the Federation server proxy radio button at this step. These steps are not covered in this article.
Note: If the server you are working on is not a member of the domain, you will see the following error:
6. On the Install Prerequisite Software screen, click Next
7. Wait for the Installation Progress screen to complete
8. On the Completed the AD FS 2.0 Setup Wizard screen, click Finish
Note: You have the option at this time to start the AD FS 2.0 Management snap-in when the wizard closes. If you wish to do this, simply check the check box as shown in the image below. If you wish to access the AD FS 2.0 Management snap-in at a later time, you can easily do this by selectingStart -> Type MMC in the Search programs and files text box, hit Enter, click File in the top menu of the MMC Console, select Add/Remove Snap-in, select AD FS 2.0 Management, click Add, then click OK